Beginner surfers often ask us what is the #1 piece of advice we can give them as they continue to improve on their surfing journey. They usually don’t like the answer. They look at us like doctors who just told them to eat more spinach for better health.
So what is this unsavory piece of advice? Drum roll please…the best thing you can do for your surfing:
practice the pop up on dry land as often as possible.
Yes: it’s hard. Yes, it’s repetitive. Yes, it’s perceived as boring. And, no, it doesn’t compare to the thrill of surfing. But practicing your pop ups on dry land will pay dividends next time you get in the water! The muscle memory you form on land for a quick and nimble pop-up will translate into quick and nimble pop ups on the waves. Better pop ups = better surfing!
Practicing pop ups on land is BY FAR the #1 thing you can do to:
Improve your chance of rocking your first wave
Master your muscle memory–before you even get in the water!
Build confidence for bigger waves
Work out bad habits and perfect your surf technique
Gain strength and stamina for getting up on every. single. wave (Hello, longer surf sessions!)
At Pura Vida Adventures, we know that sometimes even the healthiest person needs motivation to “eat their spinach,” so we’ve created a cool challenge (with even COOLER prizes!) to help you get poppin’ to your feet in no time.
JOIN THE 28 DAY “FITNESS FEBRUARY” POP-UP CHALLENGE
Here’s the skinny: You. 28 Pop-Ups every day for 28 days. Post your pop up pics on Instagram. At the end of the 28 days, we’ll draw 6 lucky winners who’ll get Surf and Yoga retreat cash money discounts.
The rules: Ever heard the phrase “Send pictures or it didn’t happen?” Well, we trust that you will be doing your pop-ups for 28 days so you can be ripped and six-packed at the end of it, but if you want to be entered into the drawing, ya gotta tag @puravidasurf AND hashtag #puravidapopup in your Instagram photo post to win!
The prizes: 5 people will get $200 off for any 2018 Pura Vida Adventures Surf and Yoga Retreat, one Grand Prize Winner will get $500 off!
The fine print: You can post ONE pop up picture a day, for as many days as you like. Each pic will be worth ONE entry in the contest, so you have 28 chances to enter! The more you pop and post, the greater your chances to win!
To get started and to make sure you have proper technique, watch our “How to Surf” Video Series on the Pop-up. We show you two different techniques in this video. Choose one that best suits your ability and just go for it!
What are you waiting for? Get poppin’!
The Pura Vida Adventures Family
P.S Want the specific legal fine print? Read below.
PURA VIDA ADVENTURES FITNESS FEBRUARY 28 DAY POP UP CHALLENGE – OFFICIAL RULES NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. PROMOTION DESCRIPTION: The PURA VIDA ADVENTURES FITNESS FEBRUARY 28 DAY POP UP CHALLENGE begins on FEBRUARY 1ST, 2018 and ends on March 1st 2018.
The sponsor of this Sweepstakes is Pura Vida Adventures (“Sponsor”). By participating in the Sweepstakes, each Entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of Entries and the overall administration of the Sweepstakes. Entrants should look solely to Sponsor with any questions, comments or problems related to the Sweepstakes. Sponsor may be reached by email at [email protected] during the Promotion Period.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of ELIGIBLE LOCATIONS who are 18 and over (the \”Entrant\”). Sponsor, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, sales representatives, advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective officers, directors and employees (the \”Promotion Entities\”), are ineligible to enter the Sweepstakes or win a prize. Household Members and Immediate Family Members of such individuals are also not eligible to enter or win. “Household Members” shall mean those people who share the same residence at least three months a year. “Immediate Family Members” shall mean parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses. This Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Prize: 5 winners will receive $200 to be used towards any 2018 Pura Vida Sorf and Yoga Retreat. GRAND PRIZE: 1 winner will receive $500 for same.
Only one prize per person and per household will be awarded. Gift cards and gift certificates are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuer. Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or substituted by winner. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value if a prize described in these Official Rules is unavailable or cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, for any reason. The ARV of the prize represents Sponsor’s good faith determination. That determination is final and binding and cannot be appealed. If the actual value of the prize turns out to be less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
All federal, state and/or local taxes, fees, and surcharges are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in forfeiture of the prize.
4. HOW TO ENTER: Enter the Sweepstakes during the Promotion Period online by visiting Instagram, and tagging your pop up photos @puravidasurf and @puravidapopup
Automated or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. Internet entry must be made by the Entrant. Any attempt by Entrant to obtain more than the stated number of Entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations, logins or any other methods, including, but not limited to, commercial contest/sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering services, will void Entrant’s Entries and that Entrant may be disqualified. Final eligibility for the award of any prize is subject to eligibility verification as set forth below. All Entries must be posted by the end of the Promotion Period in order to participate. Sponsor’s database clock will be the official timekeeper for this Sweepstakes.
5. WINNER SELECTION: The Winner(s) of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotion Period. The random drawing will be conducted 2 weeks after the Promotion Period by Sponsor or its designated representatives, whose decisions are final. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible Entries received.
6. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winner will be notified by March 10th, 2018 via Instagram messages. Sponsor is not responsible for any delay or failure to receive notification for any reason, including inactive email account(s), technical difficulties associated therewith, or Winner’s failure to adequately monitor any email account.
Any winner notification not responded to or returned as undeliverable may result in prize forfeiture. The potential prize winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, and a Publicity Release (collectively \”the Prize Claim Documents\”). No substitution or transfer of a prize is permitted except by Sponsor.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Sponsor assumes no responsibility or liability for (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, or for any faulty or failed electronic data transmissions; (b) any unauthorized access to, or theft, destruction or alteration of entries at any point in the operation of this Sweepstakes; (c) any technical malfunction, failure, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regard to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, camera, computers or providers utilized in any aspect of the operation of the Sweepstakes; (d) inaccessibility or unavailability of any network or wireless service, the Internet or website or any combination thereof; (e) suspended or discontinued Internet, wireless or landline phone service; or (f) any injury or damage to participant’s or to any other person’s computer or mobile device which may be related to or resulting from any attempt to participate in the Sweepstakes or download of any materials in the Sweepstakes.
If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned for reasons which may include without limitation, infection by computer virus, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes in whole or in part. In such event, Sponsor shall immediately suspend all drawings and prize awards, and Sponsor reserves the right to award any remaining prizes (up to the total ARV as set forth in these Official Rules) in a manner deemed fair and equitable by Sponsor. Sponsor and Released Parties shall not have any further liability to any participant in connection with the Sweepstakes.